Hunchback vs Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang variant)

112 replies to this topic

Poll: Hunchback vs Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang) (338 member(s) have cast votes)

Which would you rather take into battle?

1. Hunchback (161 votes [47.63%])

Percentage of vote: 47.63%

2. Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang variant) (177 votes [52.37%])

Percentage of vote: 52.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Yeach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Having this discussion in the irc channel.
Both the Hunchback and the Centurion are in MWO;
I am also assuming the possibility of Yen-Lo-Wang variant as it was described in the description of the new Centurion.

So if you had to take to battle (maybe against the other), which mech would you take?

Both mech share similarities as follows
-50 tons
-4/6/0 speed
-1 AC20 and 2 medium lasers (although the TT has 1 ML on the YLW facing rear)

Differences are
-AC20 on YLW is in the right arm, Hunchback in the right torso
-Hunchback has 3 more heatsinks and a small laser
-YLW has a hatchet or claw on left hand
-Hunchback has 160 pts of armor over the YLW 136 pts of armor

Edited by Yeach, 20 February 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#2 Petroff Northrup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

YLW, they are going to be fighting at knife fighting ranges so the claw and shield of the YLW give it that small edge it needs.

#3 Vernius Ix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOscar Mike

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

Yen-lo represent!

#4 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

YLW, the hunchy has been done. That and melee beyond the scope of some form of collision (DFA) has not yet been done. I was hoping that such a resurgent effort as MWO would initially incorporate this. We'll have to wait. I don't know how long. I've been patiently waiting since MW2. It is on my "bucket list".

#5 pursang

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

The only problem is that the YLW won't be able to use the hatchet/claw - thus negating one of its most powerful close-ranged offensive weapons.

#6 DarkReaver

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationJihad Day,Hellgate

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

if melee battles for mechs vs mechs will be implented in MWO then YLW will be a sought off melee mech otherwise a waste of the claw.... ;)

#7 osito

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, ca

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

I want the rebuilt ylw, the one he gets after outreach. replaces the ac20 with a gauss rifle. now that is a mean mod.

#8 djuice1701

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

YLW definitely the winner.

The Hunchback AC/20 fitted to torso limits the angle at which you can attack your target, requiring you to adjust your torso constantly to track and keep your target in view.

While on YLW it's fitted to the arm, allowing you rotate the arm towards you target, also it allows you to hit your targets immediately above/below you, and directly to the 90 degrees right of you without having to twist your torso, since the arm itself can rotate.

Now I would like to see independant arm rotation implemented in MW:O eg: Left Arm, can hit targets immediately 90 degrees to the left, while doing the same thing to the right arm, but instead aiming right. This allows you to target 2 independant targets that are trying to pincer you.

#9 Marvin Martian

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I think the Hunchback would win, unless it was ambushed. It can be walking away while the YLW is advancing, so it is only closing at 20 km/hr. In the meantime the two mechs are exchanging volleys. The Hunchback has an extra ton of armor and its AC/20 is in a location less easy to blow away. The hatchet on the YLW would be nice once it has gotten into melee range, but it takes two hits with the hatchet to make up for the difference in armor between the two mechs. My guess is that unless the Hunchback was ambushed or cornered, one of the two 'mechs would be destroyed before the hatchet was of any use.

#10 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

Considering the YLW was and is only borderline canon (see below) at best with its "melee upgrade", I'd prolly take the Hunchback.

The canon question:

[...]it was occasionally reported as the "CN9-YLW" but this is explicitly[11] not considered to be a proper variant.[...]

Thus I won't hold my breath yet if anything like it will be seen in MWO.

#11 Frosty Thundertrod

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

The hunchback does 33 dammage per round the YLW does 26. both have the same speed.
in direct head to head fight I lihink the Hunchback would win. but the Centurion has Corean Transband-J9 comunications so it is probbly a better mech over all

#12 Stone Profit

• Leftenant Colonel
  • Leftenant Colonel
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

I dont think the makeshift titanium nails as described in the Warrior Trilogy would really be effective. Perhaps for a short time, one or if youre lucky two strikes, but anything makeshift IMO is really not fair to consider. now, if you gave the hunchie the same thing, then that'd be fair, but youre comparing apples to oranges on this one.

"He (Justin Allard) modified the 'Mech originally with an Assault Autocannon and placed Titanium "nails" on the 'Mech's hand actuator."

#13 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

Unless the melee is properly implemented, the lead would go to the Hunchback, more armour wins.

#14 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:16 AM

Pretty even atm... I picked a hunchback as YenLoWang is a custom mech and I am sure not often seen in the IS

#15 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

Picked the Hunchie, the Swayback would make it even quicker.

#16 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostDlardrageth, on 20 February 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

Considering the YLW was and is only borderline canon (see below) at best with its "melee upgrade", I'd prolly take the Hunchback.

The canon question:

Thus I won't hold my breath yet if anything like it will be seen in MWO.

Borderline canon? Yen-Lo-Wang is completely canon, showing up in plenty of canon novels, sourcebooks and record sheets. It's just a custom modification and not a production variant. If the game allows such custom modifications, then there's no reason why it shouldn't be possible to have a Centurion like it.

In either case, providing it's the first version of Yen-Lo-Wang during the Fourth Succession War, I'm going with the Hunchback. It has more front firepower with the Small Laser and one more Medium Laser (One of the Centurion's faces aft), more armour, and even in melee combat, the Hunchback can use both hands for punching while still firing the AC/20 while Yen-Lo-Wang can only use its claw.

#17 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

Pre-3050, I'm thinking Hunchback. Better armor, better damage output, and while the Yen-Lo-Wang's hatchet can put out a nice 9 points of damage out, the Hunchback has two hand actuators for punching... Though of course it can't use the arm-mounted MLas in that case, which puts the Yen-Lo-Wang at an advantage only in melee (realistically, the Hunchback shouldn't be there unless it's running too hot to use all its lasers). Overall, I've got to go with the Hunchback.

Post-3050, I like the Yen-Lo-Wang a lot better, and I think that Gauss Rifle is a much more flexible weapon in most battlefield situations.

#18 alex kelll

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationKentares

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

Come on yen lo wang can wipe the floor with any hunchback

#19 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Yen-Lo-Wang http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hunchback

just wanted to throw the info out there for others to join in the discussion.

+1 for yen-lo-wang

#20 Rockhound085

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostPetroff Northrup, on 20 February 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

YLW, they are going to be fighting at knife fighting ranges so the claw and shield of the YLW give it that small edge it needs.

I dont think this varient of yen lo wang has a shield. You are thinking too much into the future we mean the one piloted by Justin Allard.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users